Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Saloons in Doha

I was driving home from work the other day and got stuck in a bit of traffic. As I was mindlessly looking around I noticed a business called, "Barber Saloon." Now, I thought that was an odd name for a barber shop (the guy's face with shaving cream made me certain). Oh well, it's probably just a typo, very common in every country I've lived in. As I inched my up the street, I saw another shop with a similar name and then another. At one point there were 4 'saloons' right next to each other all offering a shave and a hair cut. So it must not be a typo but a salon here is for females and a saloon is for males. Go figure.

Nearly 5 weeks here now and I still don't have high-speed internet at home. I am having severe withdrawal symptoms and frequently find myself typing and surfing at speeds that dial-up just can't handle. I know I need patience but I need it NOW!

Yesterday in my Introduction to Programming class, a student said to me that he has never been so excited to come to school as he is now that he is working on building a video game in Scratch. I just had to smile because I am experiencing the same kind of excitement about my job. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MATH, but teaching computer programming has opened my world to all kinds of fun. Watching my students create and program gives me a sense that I'm really playing a part in preparing them for the 21st century, the tech generation.

I am sooooooooooooooooo glad I made the switch to technology.

No comments: