Thursday, September 25, 2008

Catching Up

Wow, how has a whole week passed so quickly?? Well, I have some forced downtime (stomach flu, ick!) and I'm able to pick up my neighbor's wireless signal so let's catch up!

The dinner last week was really fun. We went to a place called the Diplomatic Club for the Iftar dinner. But it wasn't the Iftar, instead it was the late meal, which is the main meal, sometimes called the midnight meal. An Iftar is the meal that actually breaks the fast at sundown.

The meal was fabulous with hummus, shish kebab, meat sambukeak, grilled houmilli cheese, labneh with garlic, falefal, fried cheese, mixed grill, and tons more. The table was overflowing with so much food that we couldn't even eat. I guess I was expecting a little more exotic fair but these 'normal' dishes are so wonderful that I didn't mind.

We had a reservation for 8:30, apparently way early for this culture. We were in fact the first customers in the place, which was a make-shift tent. Other people didn't start showing up until well after 9. And our food didn't come to the table until after 10.


The best part of the evening was just hanging out with my new friends, all teachers at the school. All of us live in the same building and so, theoretically, we should see each other all the time. But we don't. As well, we don't always see each other at school because it is soooooo big and we are in different buildings. So it was great getting to know each other. I didn't bring my camera so I'm limited for photos. These two were taken by Jocelyn. Thanks, Jocelyn!!


The next day a friend needed to be taken to the hospital so I got to experience the emergency room at the private hospital Al-Alhi. I was glad to see how well-equipped it was and the staff took very good care of my friend. In just a little while she was no longer in pain. :-)

On Sunday, the first day of my work week, I went to Q-Tel (Qatar Telecommunications) and applied for high-speed internet. WAHOO!!!!! This was the highlight of the week. It will be installed this Sunday and I can't wait! I'll be able to have the internet on all the time and my Skype phone number (a Ft. Lauderdale, Florida) will be active.

My Intro to Programming students turned in their second games this week and we all had lots of fun playing. One game is called "The Principal" and has our high school principal shooting detentions at students. LOL. The other classes are going along fine.

The only downer of the week was getting sick at school yesterday. I got home by 3pm and spent the rest of the night being sick and sleeping. This morning I feel much better but still not fully right. Oh well, life happens. And stomach bugs are going 'round the school right now so I'm not too surprised. Another day or two and I'll be fine. :-)

More later, friends!!



No comments: