Sunday, April 29, 2012

Whoa, where'd I go???

It is time to resurrect this blog!  I've been absent for far too long.  As summer is approaching and I'll be returning to the states just two weeks from today, I want to get back to blogging about all the cool things happening in my life.

Many of you already know that just over one year ago I had a Roux-N-Y gastric bypass while here in Doha.  It was my hope to eliminate my type-2 diabetes, acid reflux disease and sleep apnea.  The icing on the proverbial cake would be losing tons of excess weight (130 kg or 285 lbs).

Each of these conditions greatly affected my every day life.  I was taking six pills a day (four different classes of medications) for the diabetes and it was still uncontrolled with an A1c of 8.6 even though I was eating well.  I was taking the maximum prescription dose of omeprezole for the acid reflux and one shouldn't be taking that much long-term as I had been doing.  The sleep apnea (technically hypopnea) was also occurring 59 times an hour but was much better with a CPAP machine.

Well, the diabetes has been eliminated, the acid reflux is gone and the sleep apnea is now down to only 6.5 times an hour (5-15 is considered mild).  This has been the most amazing time of my life.  This human body of ours is an amazing creation!  Thank You, God!

So much has happened in the last year or two and I want to start blogging about it even though it is in the past.  I feel a need to actually document what happened, who helped me through each part, and honor God for what He's done.  So the resurrection of Footnotes From Afar begins.  :-)

The first thing I want to mention is two particular blogs that I found that are incredible for offering me recipes that are good for me.  If you're interested in eating healthier, whether for losing weight or for dealing with medical conditions, these two blogs have been my main source of recipe ideas.  And inspiration.

The first blog is www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and it is the bomb.  Eggface (Shelly, in real life) has these Bites that are incredible and I make them all the time.  There are so many varieties and everyone I've made has been fab.  She is also running a giveaway right now for the new Click Espresso Protein Drink Decaf.  Check out her blog for a chance to enter and win.  I've entered and I'm hoping I get to win a canister of it.  :-)  I'm drinking Click Mocha as I type.  Oh, and I'm spilling it on the keyboard, too.   Brown liquid on my white Mac keyboard.  :-\

The second blog is bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com and is ah-maze-ing!  I make her Taco Casserole all the time and my friends ask me to make it for them.  It's soooo good.  And healthy.  And delicious.  And did I mention delicious?!


Well, this has turned into a long post, but a much needed post.  It's good to be back!  Stay tuned!



No comments: