Monday, April 30, 2012

Carrot Allergy? Are you serious??

I looks like I am now allergic to carrots.  UGH!  Let's add that to the list of allergies that is now rather long. 

First was apples in early 2009.  I had an itchy mouth, throat and ears so it wasn't a bad reaction but it was very annoying.  I had an allergy test run by my GI doc that said I wasn't allergic to anything but apples weren't included in that blood test. Yes, this was in Doha where medicine can be hit or miss.  Then came almonds in early 2010 followed a few weeks later by peaches.  A trip to Bangkok and Bumrungrad Hospital for some proper testing proved that I was allergic to tons of fruit.  The testing was tricky because I didn't react to the extracts that are typically used.  When I insisted that I had reactions when I ate items, the doc retested with the actual juice/pieces of fruit and that's when it became clear.  I had allergies.  First time in my life.


Apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries, apricots, mangos (but I don't like them anyway), and almonds.  A few others (strawberries, kiwi) showed a sensitivity to them but I don't react when I eat them so I'm not allergic as it takes both a reaction and a positive skin test to diagnose the allergy.

Last New Year's Eve I discovered I was allergic to snap peas when I ate one.  ONE.  It was the worst reaction I'd had and it was miserable.  Not only did I have the classic itchy mouth/throat/ears, my salivary glands went into overdrive and I felt incredibly nauseous.  I felt my throat close up a bit and it was hard to swallow.  I never want to feel that again!

Now let's add carrots to that list.  The other night I ate about 12 baby carrots as a late night snack shortly before turning in for bed.  I didn't feel any oral symptoms so I didn't notice a problem.  About thirty minutes later, though, I felt miserable.  My stomach was upset and nauseous, I had abdominal cramps, I couldn't concentrate, all I could think about was throwing up but I couldn't.  I was like this for about four hours.  Icky.  At first I thought it was food poisoning but I hadn't really eaten anything in the second half of the day that could have gone bad.  I couldn't figure it out.  Only the next day did I realize it was a mild (intestinal) allergy that was affecting the GI tract. 

So how in the world do you eat healthy when you're allergic to healthy foods?  I really don't know how except that I do take multivitamins twice a day.  And cook my fruit.  And now my carrots, too. 

No comments: