Friday, August 22, 2008

Quandry and I want your opinions...

So, driving here is, uhh, different. The likelihood of an accident is high because the rules of the road are ignored frequently, mostly be expatriates who I'm afraid don't really know how to drive properly. I feel safe with my driving abilities after my Moscow driving experience but the more I watch the drivers around me, the more nervous I get. I bought a 1997 Honda Accord from a teacher who left the school. It's okay for an old car and was quite willing to deal with reasonable repair bills as the car wasn't too expensive.

The cost of auto repairs here is expensive and the work is far below acceptable. I recently heard of a guy whose motor mount had gone and had it replaced, only to discover that the "mechanic" had filled the space with pieces of cardboard. I realize this is probably a worst-case scenario but at the same time, I don't know if I'm willing to deal with this type of problem.

Instead of owning a car, it seems that many people rent a car year-round. For about $500-$600 per month, the rental car is insured against any damage, is repaired at the company's expense, and is reasonably new. They are not always the newest cars but they really are someone else's headache.

I'm interested in exploring this option to rent. I'd really only end up renting for 10 months a year because I'd be home in the summer so it really would cost about $5000 - $6000 a year. Considering the cost of gas is sooooooo low, I'm guessing that's about what you guys in the US are paying per year to run your cars?

So what do you think? Own or Rent? What else should I consider? Please leave a comment below and give me your thoughts! Thanks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd say with gas prices, it is about what I would pay per year...Yikes! BTW, you really need to do better with your apartment choices and elevators! Ever consider a 1st floor???