Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Next Chapter

So, why a blog? Because I want my friends and family to know what my life is like overseas. Because I want a record for myself. Because I want a place to list all the websites I want to view. Because I want to learn something new. Because I absolutely suck at writing emails in a timely fashion, as all of you already know! So, here is my blog.

Why the name? Well, in college, my friends affectionately named me Footnotes because I don't tell a story in a straight line, like from point A to point B. Instead, I take my listeners on lots of little side stories, or footnotes, on their way to the end of the story. More than 15 years later, I am still the same Footnotes. So, to the ones who named me (A.J., Shane, and Ronn), you are always in my heart!! [And pumpkin pudding is still up my nose!] As for the 'From Afar' part, I'm not that afar just yet, although NYC does seem like another country. But there's no time like the present to begin a blog, so for a while, it's from Near-Afar.

The boxes have been packed and shipped. The dorm room is looking pretty empty. The flights (all 4 legs!) are arranged. Doha, here I come! Are you ready for me? I leave exactly 11 weeks from today and, although I still have much to accomplish this summer, I am so excited about going! The excitement is partly because I'm going to have a normal apartment again with all my treasures around me and partly because I'm really looking forward to working with the kids again. This year off has been wonderful but it has shown me just how much I love working with the students.

As for current events, today is my friend's graduation party out in Long Island. Renee, I wouldn't travel two hours for just anyone, dear!!! It'll be great to celebrate with her and meet her family from Jamaica. I helped a friend pack up her belongings last night and this morning, just as my wonderful friend, Perien, helped me do last week.

Right now, classes for Summer A have begun, but my classes don't start until Wednesday. So I'm on a mini-holiday for a few more days. Wahoo!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great work, Kim! I have been advised to write a blog for the same reasons--lots of people to email, not a lot of time, a good record for myself, bonus links etc. I am so proud of you for all that you have accomplished in the last 12 months. Can you believe it? I look forward to settling in to my place in Istanbul and seeing friends in far away places. I hope we will get together in both Doha and Istanbul. LOVE Tara

Unknown said...

ah, the fond memories of pumpkin pudding up noses

makes me nostalgic for FCA Central

great to see you're doing well

later, Kimbers!

Shane

Becks said...

YEAH!! now we can all keep track of you better! :) i miss you my dear sister! you can come read my blog too! lots of love!

Unknown said...

WOW! What an awsome way of keeping in touch. I will show Cole and Grace when they wake up. I am looking forward to checking in often. Great job.

P.S. It looks like the whole blog was designed with Project 7. Nice job!